I studied at Clarion University from 2011-2014, earning a B.S. in Mathematics. After this, I completed a M.A. in Mathematics at Brandeis University in 2016 under the advisement of Dr. Olivier Bernardi. In May of 2020, I completed my Ph.D. in Statistics at Penn State University, advised by Dr. Aleksandra Slavkovic and Dr. Matthew Reimherr.
My research expertise is on data privacy, with a focus on differential privacy. Some of my work has studied problems in the areas of functional data analysis, classical statistical inference, and empirical risk minimization under the constraint of differential privacy.
I also work on applied problems related to pitch tracking for the analysis of physiological signals.
- Awan, S., Awan, J. (2020) ``Use of a Vortex Whistle for Measures of Respiratory Capacity.'' Journal of Voice.
- Awan, J., Slavkovic, A. (2020)''Structure and Sensitivity in Differential Privacy: Comparing K-Norm Mechanisms.'' Journal of the American Statistical Association.
- Awan, J., Bernardi, O. (2020) ''Tutte Polynomials for Directed Graphs.'' Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series B.
- Awan, J., Slavkovic, A. (2019)
''Differentially Private Inference for Binomial Data.'' Journal of Privacy and Confidentiality.
- Reimherr, M., Awan, J.. (2019) ''KNG: The K-Norm Gradient Mechanism.'' Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 32.
- Reimherr, M., Awan, J.. (2019) ''Elliptical Perturbations for Differential Privacy.'' Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 32.
- Awan, J., Kenney, A., Reimherr, M., Slavkovic A. (2019) ''Benefits and Pitfalls of the Exponential Mechanism with Applications to Hilbert Spaces and Functional PCA.'' Proceedings of the 36th International Conference on International Conference on Machine Learning.
- Awan, J., Slavkovic, A. (2018) ''Differentially Private Uniformly Most Powerful Tests for Binomial Data.'' Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 31.
- Awan, S., Awan, J.. (2018) ''A Two-Stage Cepstral Analysis Procedure for the Classification of Rough Voices.'' Journal of Voice.
- Gaskill, C., Awan, J., Watts, C., Awan, S. (2016) ''Acoustic and Perceptual Classification of Within-sample Normal, Intermittently Dysphonic, and Consistently Dysphonic Voice Types.'' Journal of Voice.
- Awan, S., Awan, J. (2013) ''The Effect of Gender on Measures of Electroglottographic Contact Quotient." Journal of Voice.