I studied at Clarion University from 2011-2014, earning a B.S. in Mathematics. After this, I completed a M.A. in Mathematics at Brandeis University in 2016 under the advisement of Dr. Olivier Bernardi.
Currently I am a PhD student in the Department of Statistics at Penn State University, advised by Dr. Aleksandra Slavkovic and Dr. Matthew Reimherr.
My research focuses on differential privacy, with applications to functional data analysis, classical statistical inference, and empirical risk minimization. I also have collaborated with my father Dr. Shaheen Awan, Professor of Speech Pathology at Bloomsburg University, in problems of pitch tracking for the analysis of physiological signals.
- Awan, J., Slavkovic, A. ''Structure and Sensitivity in Differential Privacy: Comparing K-Norm Mechanisms.'' Under Revision.
- Awan, J., Bernardi, O. (2020) ''Tutte Polynomials for Directed Graphs.'' Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series B. Volume 140, 192-247.
- Awan, J., Slavkovic, A. (2019)
''Differentially Private Inference for Binomial Data.'' Journal of Privacy and Confidentiality. To appear.
- Reimherr, M., Awan, J.. (2019) ''KNG: The K-Norm Gradient Mechanism.'' Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 32. Accepted.
- Reimherr, M., Awan, J.. (2019) ''Elliptical Perturbations for Differential Privacy.'' Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 32. Accepted.
- Awan, J., Kenney, A., Reimherr, M., Slavkovic A. (2019) ''Benefits and Pitfalls of the Exponential Mechanism with Applications to Hilbert Spaces and Functional PCA.'' Proceedings of the 36th International Conference on International Conference on Machine Learning. 374--384
- Awan, J., Slavkovic, A. (2018) ''Differentially Private Uniformly Most Powerful Tests for Binomial Data.'' Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 31, 4208--4218.
- Awan, S., Awan, J.. (2018) ''A Two-Stage Cepstral Analysis Procedure for the Classification of Rough Voices.'' Journal of Voice.
- Gaskill, C., Awan, J., Watts, C., Awan, S. (2016) ''Acoustic and Perceptual Classification of Within-sample Normal, Intermittently Dysphonic, and Consistently Dysphonic Voice Types.'' Journal of Voice, Volume 31, Issue 2, 218-228.
- Awan, S., Awan, J. (2013) ''The Effect of Gender on Measures of Electroglottographic Contact Quotient." Journal of Voice, Volume 27, Issue 4, 433-440.